“One difference between poetry and lyrics is that lyrics sort of fade into the background. They fade on the page and live on the stage when set to music.”
― Stephen Sondheim
Born Jesse Chibikem Folarin Winston to an engineer father (who is also a Preacher) and a Mother who has Education chiseled into her core.
Jessay is a New school Afro Urban Independent Artist who resides in Nigeria but has an inclination to sending good vibes word-wide, with his version of “good music” .
Though he may tend to fuse Raggae, Highlife n Pop into his sound, there is no doubt his cores are Hip Hop n RnB.
With a strong penchant for good music, Jessay Started writing his own lyrics in 2005 during summer classes in junior secondary school.
Although he started with RnB, the love for Hip Hop seemed to be more super seeding and the kid has gone on to master both crafts. Calling his main style ‘a perfect marriage between Hip Hop and RnB with concubines from other Genres’
His music is based on self expression! via Making music to educate, Inspire/Motivate and entertain his listeners. With the fine use of ‘wit and grit’
Prior to his Professional entry, Jessay started his sojourn into Hip Hop via Rap Battles and live performances.
Stating that “Rap battle is the truest form of expression in Hip Hop”
He started Professionally in 2013 when he jumped on M.I Abaga’s ‘4 Horsemen’ cover alongside Armani and Black Kickz under the pseudonym of ‘Jesse-F’ .
Although he had been recording songs before then. This 4 Horsemen song, was the first material he was on to go online.
His love for Rap battles and Rappers supremacy has seen him feature in almost 50 (competitive and non competitive) Rap Battles in which he has always carried the slayers instinct everywhere he goes.
- Materials and projects
In 2014 Jessay dropped ‘Just Fine’ – A soul Hip Hop song which got real listeners of Hip Hop wowed by his content and style which was compared to that of Nas and Papoose.
Shortly after he re-branded to the ‘Jessay’ stage name for not wanting the Jesse Jagz relation or comparison because of the similarities in the names.
In late 2015 after winning ‘Rap Nation’ – Nigeria’s premier TV – Rap Battle League, Jessay dropped his first official single ‘Komije’ which Radio premiered on 96.9 Cool Fm with Mannie, 95.1 Wazobia Fm with Cheche, and 99.3 Nigeria Info with Gbenga and Katherine.
“Komije” by Jessay presently has a visual which dropped 12th of June and is steady gaining Radio and the T.V appeal.
In May this year, he dropped the hottest Ojuelegba Cover : a Trap Cover which was jointly produced by American producers Wize n Seventh Wonder, but had the instrumental given to him by Ace Producer @BeatsbySarz .
In his words: “I was with ace producers Sarz and TMXO in Sarz studio when he saw this instrumental and he thought no other person could kill it but me so he told me ‘kid jump on this instrumental”.
The song has gone on to beat down every resistance and gotten steady back to back airplay on 93.7 Rhythm Fm, Cool Fm and Nigeria Info as well as crazy online love!
– In 2014 he won ‘King of the Underground’. A Rap battle competition organised by Holla Back Entertainment in Conjunction with Silverbird with featured about 20 Rappers from all over the nation and did hold at Xovar Lounge Lekki.
– In same year : 2014, he won Underground Music’s Dope Unit Mixtape Rap Battle held at Ozone Lounge, a crown he successfully defended in 2015 in a competition that featured a joint total of 20 rappers.
– from February 2014 through February 2015. He went undefeated in a Rap Battle at Ozone Lounge (formerly Koko Lounge) for one full year.( and still hasn’t lost a battle there).
– He is the Current champion of ‘Rap Nation’. Nigeria’s premier TV Rap Battle competition organised by WETV in conjunction with Cool and Wazobia FM.
– A while ago, He wowed 8,000 fans at the One Lagos countdown show in Ikd. After he met Vector back stage and the superstar gave him a chance to freestyle.
Jessay and Vector Tha Viper performs on stage—-> https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Qug-pvf-s
- He has been under the mentor of Ace Producer @BeatsbySarz and has a double Vector endorsement alongside a Jesse Jagz endorsement.
*COPYRIGHT* 2016 @celonacharles